Monday, May 19, 2008

Design Idea: Frame Bags



I need a way to schlep my stuff around. On bicycles, there are several options. You can use a front or rear rack, a basket, a pannier, a sidecar or a trailer. The frame bag is a less common option. If you think about it, a bag that takes the otherwise empty space inside the front triangle makes sense.

Photo: Epic Designs, http://epicdesigns-ak.blogspot.com/



There are design considerations of course. The bag must be custom made to fit the frame. The bag needs to stay a certain width. If it expands too much, it could hit my knees while pedaling. since it uses the front triangle, it's limited by the dimensions of the bike. That obviously means that small front triangles of BMX bikes accomodate smaller bags compared to the larger triangle of a hardtail mountain bike. If I take my existing hardtail mountain bike as an example, I can only fit a 15 liter bag at the most - about the size of an average messenger bag. Big enough for the daily commute, but not enough for multi-day touring.

I think I can use this on Travelo. You can make the front triangle of a minivelo larger because the wheels are smaller.

No comments: