Friday, May 23, 2008

If the bike doesn't fold...

How do you bring it with you in a bus or train?

I was thinking of using a light bag, to cover both wheels, and the chain. I also take off the seatpost, handlebar and both pedals. This would result in a long, thin package. Here's the idea, illustrated:


I traced over the Dahon Hammerhead so that I have an idea of how the dimensions work.


This is the drawing without the background photo, for simplicity.
Configuration 1 is the "twin top tube option. The front wheel is tucked in between two top tubes, making the folded bike profile slimmer than if the wheel was strapped alongside the frame. The rear wheel is also tucked in between the rear stays. The stay bridge would have to be removable so that the wheel could be tucked in. This makes the front fork stick out, but the bike will be at tis thinnest.

Configuration 2: Twin bottom tubes: if this is possible, this provides a smaller profile because the fork won't be sticking out as much. The question is - will this provide enough structural integrity to the downtube? I know that there are a lot of bike designs with twin top tubes, but I'm not so sure about twin bottom tubes. Must practice my google-fu.

No comments: