Saturday, May 17, 2008

I want a new bike

A New Ride

I'm planning to get a new commuter bicycle that can be used in mixed-modal transportation. There are several small bicycles in the market, but so far I'm not yet convinced I've found the bike for me. So what's the bike I'm looking for? I've thought about this question a lot, and Ive drawn up a list of requirements.

The new commuter bike I'm looking for needs to be:
  • Affordable - let's face it, I'm cheap. I am willing to pay a bit for a good quality, durable bike, but there's a limit to what I'm willing to pay. Right now, the budget is still a moving target, but I'm looking for bang-for-the-buck deals.
  • Comfortable - good fit is essential. I should be able to stand while pedaling and be able to ride for long enough distances. Speed isn't a primary concern right now.
  • Small enough to be brought on public transportation. I'm thinking 20" wheels should do the trick.


The Goldilocks of bikes



I already have a steel hardtail mountain bike that's a decent commuter. I like riding "The Haitian". That's the bike above. The photo was on it's first ride as a commuter, and I've added a rack and fenders, and tightened up the slack chainline. It's a comfy, low-key single speed That I can pedal for hours. Its not particularly fast, but as a commuting machine it's just right. I just cant pack it into a small enough package that I can easily bring the bike with me on the bus. Sure, I can take off the wheels and put it into a bike bag, but the package is still too unwieldy.

On the other hand, I also have a small blue folding bike with 16" wheels, a Dahon knockoff that I call Cooper. It's not too bad to ride as long as the roads are smooth. The short wheelbase of the folder makes the ride twitchy, and it just won't do on gravel roads (I've tried). The long stem flexes and feels like it's going to shear off. It also has a hinge in the middle of the frame that makes the bike a bit unstable.

The bike I'm looking for is a mix of the two bikes I already have. As comfortable and reliable as The Haitian, with the size of Cooper. At a price I can afford.

1 comment:

manilagirl said...

A new bike? Seriously honey? Where will we put my piano? ^_^